Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Sui Mai (Shu Mai)

I am a sucker for dim sum! I mean why shouldn't I be? Teeny tiny mouthfuls of perfection! Unfortunately the ones you get in restaurants around here almost always has pork or shellfish in them. And since I am not really fond of either, I just end up drooling over the carts as they roll by. Not fair!

So I consider it a responsibility to try and make pork and shellfish free dim sum for my kind :-)

(prep time 15 mins + cook time 15 mins)
(makes 24-30)

Ingredients

Ground chicken meat 1 Lbs
Shiitake mushrooms 1/2 cup (sliced into thin threads)
Green onions 1/3 cup (chopped fine)
Garlic 1/2 tsp
Ginger 1/2 tsp
Soy sauce 1 tsp
Large Egg 1
Szechuan Pepper 1/3 tsp
Pepper 1/4 tsp
Salt
Round wonton wrappers
Peas for garnish

Gently fold in all the above ingredients (minus peas) together in a bowl. Your mixture is ready. Wasn't that easy? :-)
The video below explains the wrapping procedure. Takes a little practice but not too hard. I had big time stage fright couldn't speak a word. But you can clearly see how it's done :-)

The stuffing itself is sticky enough so you don't have to moisten the wonton wrappers. Basically just squeeze and pinch the dim sum into shape between your index finger and thumb. Hmmm.... maybe for next time I won't put so many peas on the top.


Whatever steamer you use, bamboo or steel, it is a good idea to spread some shred carrots or cabbage on the bottom of your utensil to prevent the wonton wrapper from sticking to the surface.

For a bamboo steamer you can also use liners. Cut either aluminum foil or wax paper in a circular shape equal to the size of your steamer, punch a few holes in it, spray PAM on the surface, place the dim sum over these and steam. If using a steel one you won't need liners, use either shred veggies or PAM.
Steam for 10 mins and they are ready to devour :-)
These freeze well. I always make a huge batch. And you don't have to defrost, just steam them a couple of minutes extra.
I hope you make these :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment