Social Icons

Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Jackfruit Seeds


I recently found out that ripe jackfruit seeds are edible and are considered a delicacy in South India. The idea sounded lovely and made me very curious about the flavor. I had to cook it. I searched for a few recipes and learnt that they need to be boiled for a while to get the skins off.


I saved up some seeds from the jackfruit that I had slayed earlier and following is the way I made it. I didn't want to make it into a curry, just something simple that I could eat atop a leafy salad. I selected some Pakistani/Indian inspired spices that would taste good with potatoes and went with that.
The flavor and texture was nice. Kinda like a nutty potato :-)

(serves 1)
(cook time 25 mins)
Ingredients

About 30 jackfruit seeds
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Black mustard seeds 1/3 tsp
Black cumin seeds 1/3 tsp
Chili flakes 1/2 tsp
Pepper 1/8 tsp
Fenugreek seed powder 1/8 tsp
Salt
Canola oil 2-3 Tbs
Fresh mint 1/2 Tbs (chopped fine)
Fresh lime juice 1 Tbs

Method

Start by boiling the seeds in salted water for 20 mins.The skin comes off very easily once the are cooked. Slice the seeds in half.
Heat some oil in a frying pan.
Add all the spices in the hot oil and cook for 30 seconds.
Now you can throw in the jackfruit seeds into the frying pan.
Toss around and cook for another minute or so.
Sprinkle some lime juice and mint on top.
I had it just like that over a simple salad (cucumbers and some greens no dressing).
But I would imagine it work great with roti or naan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment