Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Indian Camp Food:The Preperation

This should be perfect for a weekend camping trip for two people.
I tried to keep the ingredient list as small as possible, with a little planning ahead you won't need to carry a bulky cooler. You can always use fresh vegetables if you can carry it easily. Whenever possible I got stuff that had little or no salt added to it.


Shopping List:
  • Canned mixed vegetables
  • Canned kidney beans
  • Canned potatoes
  • Canned chicken sausage
  • Fresh onion, tomato, bell pepper, 2 green chilies
  • PAM for grilling.
  • Some cooking oil (can't see in the picture)
  • 6 eggs (can't see in the picture)
  • Thin Poha (flattened rice grains)
  • Uncle Ben's 10 min rice.
  • Assorted spices. I am a little nerdy when it comes to spices. I hate using the pre-mixed stuff. So I carried a few of my favorites in a 7 day pill box. Salt (I used kosher salt because it is coarser and won't spill easily out of the box), pepper, black cumin, fenugreek leaves, coriander powder, chili flakes, and nigella seeds.
  • Frozen meat. I froze all the meat the previous night and carried it with me in an insulated bag with a few ice packs. 
  • Tomato chutney*
  • Onion paste** (2 medium sized red onions sliced thin, fried till dark brown and then ground up)
*You can use a jar of pre-made curry paste.
** Use already fried onions that you can get in a bag. You can find this easily in an Indian store, I am sure there is a name for that, but I can't seem to remember it at the moment.

Utensils:
  • Knife
  • Can opener
  • Propane Grill
  • Lighter
  • Tongs
  • Aluminum foil
  • I packed a sieve to drain the liquid from the canned veggies, but realised that you don't really need it.
P.S.
I really really wanted to make these videos while I was out, but I don't think I will get a chance to go camping before the summer ends :-(
So I made them anyways in my backyard just for you guys using only the utensils and ingredients listed above. I am sure you won't have a problem making any of these outdoors!

0 comments:

Post a Comment